uploading excel sheet data in to oracle database.
raneesh
2008-11-19 05:46:20 UTC
hi . please help me to upload a excel sheet data in to oracle database via
Vb6.0.
i want to upload excel sheet data in to DB on clicking a button after
giving the excel sheet path.
is it possible to do that via VB6.0 ?

thanks in advance..
Ralph
2008-11-19 14:32:18 UTC
Post by raneesh
hi . please help me to upload a excel sheet data in to oracle database via
Vb6.0.
i want to upload excel sheet data in to DB on clicking a button after
giving the excel sheet path.
is it possible to do that via VB6.0 ?
thanks in advance..
Yes it is possible. In fact there are a half-dozen ways to go about it
(probably even more); depending on your problem domain one or two are likely
optimal. The key will be just how much massage you have to do on the data to
'stuff' it into Oracle. Dates for example, will be a particular issue. And
of course size of the data.

For a couple of thousand rows, you might simply access the worksheet as an
ADOBB.Recordset and then update Oracle row by row. You might create a SP in
Oracle to handle this for you. Again using an Oracle SP you might convert
the Excel Worksheet to a CVS and do a raw block update. ...

If you are already using OO4O you might want to use it instead of ADO, etc.

You might want to create an VBA Excel Macro and simply use Excel automation.

My suggestion is to use Google to research the many options available. Pick
something that looks like a fit your problem domain and play with it. Note:
you will find many articles describing how to do this using Excel VBA, you
can eaily adopt VBA code to work in VB6.

Second, this is the wrong newsgroup for your question. This group is for
using DirectX with VB. You will have better luck if you post to a more
active newsgroup more populated with databases programmers -
"microsoft.public.vb.database" or "microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion".
Post follow ups to one of these two groups.

-ralph